Monday, January 3, 2011

In the beginning...

10 followers over night! Oh My Goodness! Okay okay...so one of the followers is actually me. Following myself. But hey! I am my own best stalker. Thank you ALL! You are making the mermaid endeavors possible with your love and awesomeness! : )

So, a quick little bit of info about Aiyana. Mermaid Aiyana is my mermaid alter-ego. She is the confidence I never solely had til now. She is the outlet and ambassador of awareness for our great GREAT Lakes and ambassador of smiles for those little bright eyed cuties who see that tail and allow the belief of magic begin to stir within their hearts like a little firework! The best part of my job. 

Aiyana is supposedly native for "eternal blossom" or "forever blooming". The name was so ethereal and soft, I absolutely grabbed onto it and felt it. Aiyana's story begins with a water lily. Nymphaea is the order of flower they originate from. Amazing flowers. And protected by many authorities and departments! Born in an untamed wild river in the midwest of America. In a smoother creek connected to the river, many incredible water blossoms grew and opened to the sun above. In the warmth of the shallow water, Aiyana was born. (yes, technically hatched :). Aiyana was named of course after the sweet, delicate but sturdy flowers around her in the river.  Travelling where the water and current take her, she roams and pops out onto land frequently to explore her world above and below the waters edge. Now, Aiyana tells her stories and adventures with children and adults where'er she goes. 

Aiyana has met some incredibly fascinating people along the way such as magicians, fire eaters, dancers, singers, people of all ages, pirates, royalty, adventurers, fishermen, scuba divers, captains and crew, writers, animals, treasure hunters, jewelry makers, photographers, comedians, and etc! She continues each day to meet and explore new realities and lifestyles and interests with new and enthralling people on land. 


So Aiyana. The idea for her character and generally the idea to don a swimmable mermaid tail. Why? 
A local pirate festival sprung the idea of being a mermaid. Why not? They are often mentioned in Pirate lore often and yet, I haven't seen a mermaid yet at the festival! How strange.) So I asked those in charge of the festival at the time, if it'd be okay if I hopped into the cold murky harbor for fun. Surely, they thought I was out of my darned mind. They were spot-on correct. 

As fate would have it, They are Scuba divers! Just as wild as I am! Perfect match. They had a huge pirate ship float for parades, and were looking for something to spice up their pirate ship float. I was looking to be silly and dress up. 
Perfect match once again. :) They got a nice little macrame hanging chair prepared for me to sit in hanging from the bow of the pirate ship float. And you bet your bottom I dove into that harbor! 2 years strong now doing the festival with them! They have become my second little strange and kooky family that I love and adore. Scuba diving is so incredible. It is an amazing way to get up close and personal with magnificent shipwrecks right here in our great lakes! That's right. Right HERE! Imagine being inches away from history itself, settled in deep peace at the bottom of a freshwater sea. It's breathtaking and awe-inspiring to learn more and dive more! There is so much treasure (literal and metaphorical) to be had from diving, whether in saltwater or fresh. There is always something to discover. So what's stopping you? Grab your flippers and come aboard! 

http://www.diversdelightcharter.com/


These awesome people really set my inner mermaid free and wilddd! :) I will be doing more events with them very soon! (More details to come as events approach)

My first mermaid tail was a burgundy and bronze velvet fabric and Wave monofin 
My second mermaid tail was blue shimmer spandex fabric and Wave monofin (cut to shape flukes)
My third mermaid tail (current) is a green latex over neoprene fabric custom tail
Future tails (to be explained in further blogs) - Japanese Koi tail, Betta Fish tail, and Lionfish tail. : )



Photo credit Steve Spitzer



A simple idea to jump into the harbor water as a mermaid, turned into a full fledged passion, and a love to make people smile! I'm only getting started! : )

Thanks for stopping by lovelies!

With x's and o's
Noel
Mermaid Aiyana

2 comments:

  1. You have such a way with words. Almost have me ready to jump in that there water. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Thanks again for your insight and your smiles!

    ReplyDelete